Friday, March 23, 2012

Looking for Recruiters with International Positions

I've just referred another person for a job in another country. I don't know if he will get it, but it makes me happy to know that I help to inspire people. I want to do more of that.

I have posted a popular 5-part series to getting a work permit, I write country profiles for targeted countries, job profiles for jobs people sometimes aren't aware of, answers to common questions and now have a modestly loyal following of people who are trying to find work abroad. The blog has been running for over a year and I update it about three times a week. It's becoming, in short, a sort of "one stop shopping" for would-be expats and my readers are often ready to move abroad.

My audience, according to Alexa (but see below), is predominantly  35 to 44 years of age, childless, and with a grad school education. For international relocation, this is a great combination.

More than relaxed
How Recruiters Feel About Me
Photo by Tambako the Jaguar
What I'm struggling to figure out is a strange phenomenon regarding recruiters. Several times I have seen job postings from recruiters which specifically state "company will sponsor work permits for qualified applicants". When I see these, I email the recruiter, explain who I am, and ask permission to repost the job application on my site with contact information for the recruiter. In other words, I'm not trying to side step them and I'm trying to put their ad in front of people who are more likely to respond to it.

What do I ask in return?

Nothing.

Seriously, I don't ask for anything. I'm not looking for a kickback. My goal is exactly what it looks like: helping people live and work in other countries. No recruiter has turned me down because no recruiter has ever responded to one of these emails. Why is that? Let's say they earn 30% and place someone on a 50K salary. That's a potential 15K they might lose out by simply not responding to an email. I don't understand why this is. Can you explain to me how I can do a better job of helping international candidates accept your jobs?

If you're a recruiter or if you know of any recruiters who have postings appropriate for this blog, get in touch. I'm not asking money; I just want to help people realize their dreams.

Disclaimer: one recruiter offered me a "finding fee" for everyone I referred and he placed. I did agree (hey, I won't turn down money), but he's no longer a recruiter.

Update: I now have one recruiter who's going to check to see if any of his UK clients will consider sponsorship (it's a longshot, to be honest). I passed along information about the new UK sponsorship rules since most companies aren't familiar with them, but they're pretty easy to follow. The only obstacle is the immigration cap the UK has set.

Update 2: I've recently bought a domain and my new Alexa rankings are much lower for obvious reasons. However, my traffic continues to increase. I was 31,000 hits in March 2012, but that was due to a post getting lost of attention on large sites. My traffic is currently around 15,000 hits a month and climbing.

2 comments:

  1. The recruiters are generally not the best people around. They usually post positions that does not exist, (just to collect resumes and to be able to say "we have thousand people in the database") or re-post a position without the company permission, (while modifying to make it look better o people contact them and not the company) and so on.
    It is entirely possible that the positions in question were not open to visa sponsoring, and the recruiter add this to make it more international.

    Also, about searching for job in other country: in my experience people don't take you seriously then you search from abroad. You need to be in the country, even using tourist visa, just to be considered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the recruiters are just fraud ,while some work only for money other thing they know nothing despite that.There are many vacancies whom they sponsor are just fake.

    ReplyDelete