Sunday, November 28, 2010

Living Abroad

Engaged in Lisbon, Portugal
Dreaming of a new life in a new country?  I made it happen and you can too.  I'm an American who's lived in Japan, the UK, the US and currently live in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. I constantly meet other expatriates from many countries and people often ask me what it's like living in Europe and how they can live in another country.  I firmly believe that everyone should have this chance and that most people can make it happen.

I'm not just going to be listing how to get a job in another country, though I'll touch on that, too. I'll be talking about the unique legal and psychological challenges you'll face, which countries are easier to get into, or simply talking about some of my travel experiences.  Living abroad is one of the most exciting, yet difficult things anyone can do.  When you're shopping and trying to figure out if that tube is toothpaste or hemorrhoid cream, you quickly learn that even the simplest things we take for granted can be an adventure.

The photo, if you're curious, was taken in August 2009, shortly after my French girlfriend agreed to marry me.  As of this writing, we are living in Amsterdam with a child on the way.

2 comments:

  1. I am envious of you sir but im still 19, but its good to hear a success story, i plan on moving to croatia shortly

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous: thank you. Feel free to drop a line and let me know how you plan to do it and what your options are. I'm curious to know why Croatia is your target.

    ReplyDelete